Vital Functions of Essential Fatty Acids
- Helps to lower triglycerides
- Inhibits production of leukotrienes, which cause inflammation. Inflammation is thought to be the core issue of most chronic diseases.
- Necessary for building cell membranes
- Prevents abnormal blood clotting
- Helps to lower high blood pressure
- Aids in the making of hemoglobin, your body’s oxygen delivery system
- Prevents or inhibits the growth of bacteria and virus, by way of increased oxygenation
- Helps maintain proper body temperature
- Assists glandular and hormone activity
- Increases your “fat burning” capability
- The most common of these important fats are eicosapentaenioic acid (EPA), docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) – both are in Omega 3 essential fatty acids – and gammalinolenic acid (GLA), which is in Omega 6 (Is it any wonder they use initials?).
Popular sources include cold water fish and their oils (salmon, bluefish, herring, tuna, mackerel), grass-fed animal products, and raw nuts and seeds and their oils.
Seed oils especially high in these beneficial essential fats are Black Currant Seed Oil, Borage Oil, Flax Oil, Perilla Oil, and Evening Primrose Oil.
If you choose fish as your EFA source, look for wild caught, cold water fish; in food supplements, check the label for wording similar to “micro-distilled” that signify heavy metal removal (the world’s oceans are polluted).
Essential Fatty Acid Deficiency
EFA deficiency can cause or contribute to:
- Acne and other skin disorders
- Behavioral problems
- Cardiovascular issues
- Joint problems
- Muscle tremors
- Wounds slow to heal
- Gall Bladder malfunction
- Sterility in men
- Miscarriage in women
- Impaired fetal development
- Learning disability
- Vision problems
- Poor circulation
- Studies show that EFAs can be helpful in many chronic disease conditions, specifically alcoholism, breast cancer, cardiovascular disease, immune disorders, Candidiasis (Candida yeast infection), Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS), Rheumatoid Arthritis, and obesity.
Essential Fatty Acids are definitely essential.
Some notes on taking nutritional supplements.
Omega 3 Fats for Depression
Your brain could be failing because of a diet low in essential fats: The importance of omega 3 fatty acids for beating depression and many other mental disorders.